What causes small dry spots that turn black around thighs, stomach and back?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Mar 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Two months ago small bumps started to appear on my right and then my left ankle these bumps became large and big scab and scarred but it was not itchy

Now i have small dry spots around 1.5cm appearing around my thighs, stomach, back and shoulders and it turns dark and like scabs also and it is not itchy either

My doctor does not know what it is and prescribed Fluxocillin antibiotics and also fucabet cream but it did not help

Can anyone tell me what this is please?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest adding a moisturiser and switch to a more potent steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Images.

I suggest a possibility of Xerosis with Eczematous dermatitis/ Discoid dermaititis. I would advice you to also use a moisturiser e.g ammonium lactate lotion (Amlactin), twice daily, over the affected areas, since xerosis (severe dryness) is the underlying cause. In addition, I would also like to change the steroid cream (fucibet) to a more potent one e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream, for the patches, to be applied twice daily Or alternatively, a short course of an Oral steroids (prednisolone) can be considered in addition to topical preparations.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
The two skin conditions you describe does not fit with my condition because both of those cause itchiness and mine is not as per my original email

Also used a steriod cream and it had no effect and using a stronger steriod i feel is not the right solution
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Itching is a subjective symptom

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome back to HCM.

Itching is a subjective symptom and therefore patients may report extreme itchiness Or no/ only minimal itching.

The images, specially the one of lower leg is very suggestive of eczematous dermatitis (wet/ oozing) whereas the other smaller lesions look drier.

Moreover, eczematous dermatitis may not respond very well to topical moderately potent steroid e.g Betamethasone valerate 0.05% (present in Fucibet cream), whereas it responds fairly well to super potent topical steroids and/or Oral steroids.

Therefore in my view a trial of a super-potent steroid cream with or without Oral steroids is definitely an option worth considering.

take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Hello

The lower leg may appear that it is oozing/wet but it is dry

Also i have other dry bumog patches on my arms and legs and shoulders and it can not be shown by photograph

I will not be able to reach all parts of my body to apply the cream and want can be ingested instead so it works all over my body?

Also what do you think causes this issue?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xerosis is the underlying cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, I would prefer oral steroids for a few days for widespread involvement along with topical treatment for accessible sites.
Severe dryness i.e xerosis of skin is the underlying cause, therefore the need to use a moisturiser, regularly. You must use the moisturiser even after the patches have resolved, so as to prevent this from recurring.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 36 hours later
I do not believe this is the correct diagnossis for my comdition
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload more Images for my review

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would like you to upload a few more Images of affected areas, for my review. Make sure you upload images with good clarity.