• question-icon

What causes small constant pressure on rectum and diarrhea?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I may have c-diff. Always feeling like I need to poop, small constant pressure on rectum and small amount of of diaarea 10 times a day. Otherwise, feeling ok.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably not. Need investigations .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I have read your query & understand your concern.
* The persons who are on prolonged antibiotics/ who had gastrointestinal surgery/ who had c diff infection in past / who are on chemotherapy, are at risk of getting c. diff infection.
* Your symptoms are small loose motions about 10 times a day & a constant urge to defecate,while symptoms of C difficile infection includes pain in abdomen/ fever/ pus & blood in stools/ loss of appetite & loss of weight. You do not have these.. so hope you don't have this debilitating type of infection.
Your feeling of constant pressure of rectum & small loose motions suggest it to be amoebic type of infection... which can be detected with normal stool microscopic examination.
The investigations to confirm/ exclude c diff infection are those which identify the toxins of the bacteria in stools.
* In this context you should get your self examined by a gastroenterologist followed by investigations to pin point the causative organism & offer you specific treatment.
sufficient water with a pinch of salt & sugar / Oral Re hydration Therapy along with medication advised by the doctor.. should solve your problem.
I hope, the answer was informative & useful to you.. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale