What causes small blisters on penis after unprotected sex?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi. I have been suffering from a low grade fever for last couple of days. About a week ago, I had unprotected sex with a friend who told me she was recently tested clean. Now I just noticed a cluster of 8-10 small fluid filled small blisters on underpart base of my penis. Is this herpes? Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can be herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It might be herpes.
History of sexual contact and development of fluid filled lesions after a few days is suggestive of herpes.
I would like to know few additional things to reach a conclusion.
1. Is there any other symptom like pain itching or burning sensation?
2. Are the blisters very fragile and rupture easily on touching?
Please answer the above and attach a photograph of the blisters if possible.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you

Follow-up: What causes small blisters on penis after unprotected sex? 8 hours later

There is no pain or itching at all. I actually discovered the blisters by accident. And the blisters were small, like size of pinhead, clear, and filled with clear liquid. They were very easy to pop with little pressure, so I popped all of them, washed with soap and applied antibiotic cream (neosporn) . So I don't have any pictures to send.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
get lab test done

Detailed Answer:
Hello
There is a possibility that it may be herpes.
Your description matches with that.
Please get Ig M immunoglobulin test done.
It can be easily done in any lab.
Based on this test it can be said whether you contacted herpes or not.
Thank you

Follow-up: What causes small blisters on penis after unprotected sex? 17 minutes later
Hi. Thanks. I will definitely do the test. What other possibilities may there be? Also, is it true that people who contract herpes often encounter mild fever for a period of a few days? I just had that.

And how long after unprotected sex can these symptoms appear? For me, it was about a week. Does that sound right? Is there any way to protect against getting herpes? I have researched that you can contract it even if you wear a condom?

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptoms are suggestive of herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Actually the symptoms of herpes begin with fever and then water filled lesions within 5 to 7 days of sexual contact.
Another possibility is contact allergy but that begins within a day of contact and is associated with lot of itch.
Wearing condom definitely gives protection but it can only protect the penile shaft.
Other areas of the groin which come in contact during intercourse will allow the virus to enter.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you