What causes slurred speech inspite of being on paxil?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I seem to get slightly slurred speech after just 1 beer. I am not intoxicated at all, but my saliva seems to get thicker, which causes the slurred speech. I am also on 10mg Paxil. My wife is concerned because there is a history of Kidney problems in my family, but never had a problem with me. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be side effect of paxil.Go to doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX,
This is Dr.Chintan solanki here.
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.
Your slurring speech might be due to paxil.Normally this type of extrapyramidal symptom is side effect of antipsychotic medicines, but paroxetine can cause.
However as it occurred after bear there might be some drug interaction.
It can be treatet with benzhexol(trihexyphenydyl) or injection promethazine.
So please visit doctor ,late him evaluate and physically examine you. Neurological examination should be done thouroghly. And then treatment should be given.
I hope I have answered your query, if still any confusion late me know.
Thanks & Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T