What causes slower fetal development during early pregnancy?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been for repeat scan it shows I am 5.5 to 6 weeks still but there is slight improvement as there is a small embryo. The sonographer said I am not progressing as quickly as they hoped for but in my eyes its a big step to last week with an embyro being seen even if.its very tiny. I have no report to upload. I am worried this is bad news as I havent had a period for 9 weeks. I am optimistic on the other hand cos there is a slight progression. What are your thoughts please?

Since I have just rang midwife she says this is very common in very early pregnancy she says this is why NHS dont scan until 12 weeks incase you are out with your dates. It can happen that there is a difference with period and scan measurements because scan today isnt a measuring scan its just general ultrasound. She said take no notice and be positive. As long as I have no pain or no bleeding she isnt worried at all xx some pregnancies do progress slow but catch up a few weeks later xx

I got a positive pregnancy test on 24th February and last period was 28th January dont understand why measuring 5 to 6 weeks. Am i go to lose my baby
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to me.

I have gone through your query. In this scenario, I would suggest serial titres of serum beta-hCG to help detect the progress of the pregnancy. Doubling of titres every 2-3 days indicates good progress.

It is true that your dates do not correspond with the sonogram findings. Sometimes, this disparity occurs either due to delayed ovulation or a miscalculation of the dates. Then, the fetal development appears delayed.

Please do not worry. With proper follow up, your pregnancy should be fine.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 7 minutes later
You really do see this pregnancy can go ahead. Some sac is abnormal will that impact on my baby? Oh I am so worried
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A round gestation sac is usually normal and healthy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

When the gestation sac is round and uniform without any irregularity, it is considered to be viable and healthy.

Since no abnormal findings have been made on your sac, I think this can be positive.

Please note that stress is not good for your pregnancy. So, please try to stay calm.

Hope this helps. Please get back if you need any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee