• question-icon

What causes shortness of breath when diagnosed with progressive muscle atrophy?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: As a result of a 3 impact consecutive elevator accident, August 2, 2016, feet are numb, left leg numb, joints compromised And very painful. There is a continually progressive muscle atrophy throughout my body.
. Left shoulder hanging and weak; neck very weak and falling out from the top of thorax to bottom of head Lifting , pushing or pulling results in shortness of breath, weakness, very labored breathing. I am concerned for my life. Left side of my face and tongue iaremildly numb, hands, ,left arm numb also; sometimes swallowing and chewing is difficult. I must rest and push inthe vertabtae from my thorax to my head back into place. This takes a long time and much lying down for hours to relieve to breathe more deeply. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neurological evaluation is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

With all symptoms that you describe, a neurological evaluation and tests (mainly imaging tests) are necessary to achieve a correct diagnosis and to evaluate possible treatment ways.

It is necessary to take in consideration conditions such stroke, spondylolysthesis of cervical spine, Chiari malformation, etc.

Besides examination by a Neurologist, imaging studies such dynamic x-rays of the vertebral column, brain and spinal cord MRI, are indispensable for a correct diagnosis.

Discuss with your Doctor about getting evaluated further in the direction of a possible neurological disorder.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical