question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the right side of chest during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014
Question: I am 38 weeks pregnant and bent down to take off my pants and got an sharp pain in the right side of my chest and also hurts in my right arm elbow. it doesn't hurt to breath or to take an drink of water. pain gets worse when I try to twist to my left could this be an pulled muscle
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
Yes,it definitely sounds like neuromuscular pain due to pulled muscle or pinched intercostal nerve and this is commonly seen in pregnant women so you dont have to be worried. I suggest to rest,avoid painful moves at this point but avoid analgetics as much as you can. If symptoms progress or new signs occur such as excessive vomiting, pain in abdominal area or chest pain radiating to left hand,you should visit doctor asap.wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon