What causes sharp pain in the left side of the chest?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Why do I have a sudden sharp pain in my left chest which lasted a few seconds or one minute.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to gastritis and reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
Most probably it's an acidity and reflux disease. The other associated symptoms are upper abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, burping, increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in throat or chest burning.
You should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. Elevate head end of the bed or use pillows during sleep or rest. Regular exercises will also help.
You should get prescribed tab Pan DSR 40 mg or esomiprazole domperidone combination beforebreakfast once a day for 2 weeks. If symptoms are severe, then for a week you can add syr sucral O or gelusil two teaspoon three times a day.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng