Owl Image

What causes sharp pain in the abdomen and blood in urine?

Question
I always feel bloated and gassy after a meal no matter what it is. And sometimes I get a sharp pain in my abdomen and when I urinate there's blood in my urine.
Can it be serious?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If there is blood in your urine plus these other symptoms, it is time to go in to be seen. It's possible you have an infection in your urinary tract and it is also possible that you may have a kidney stone. But the problem may be something that is irritating your stomach and your urinary tract. Have you been taking ibuprofen, naproxen, steroids such as prednisone, or anything else that may cause stomach irritation or ulceration? Another possibility is a problem with your reproductive organs which can cause blood to be in the urine.

So it is time to go in to be seen. It may not be anything serious, but it is important to get evaluated.

If you can't get in to be seen by your regular doctor soon, please go to an urgent care clinic. But do not settle for a PA or NP - they have limited training. Ask for a real physician.