question-icon

What causes sharp pain in right side of back area?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: I have developed a sharp back pain which was just a mild pain a week ago. It is in the area of my right kidney, but the pain only occurs when I move. It is not an issue when I am still. Could this be a muscle as I first suspected, or could it be a kidney stone?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Muscle pull more likely

Detailed Answer:

A pain that increases with movement would go in favor of muscle strain or pull. It may not be kidney stone. Your age more suits towards muscular disorders than kidney stones.

You apply a balm to relieve it. Avoid the movements that cause the pain, yes this full further stress the muscle. Please note that the muscles in the back are very small unlike the ones in the thigh or calf. So you should avoid all things that contract them. If it takes a complete bed rest for only a day you should do it for the pain to disappear.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam