What causes severe shoulder and forearm pain?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Good day,
My husband has been having severe pain going down his Shoulder,Tricep, Front Forearm and at times the back should blade. He say's a lot of his pain is constant in his Tricep. He did have an MRI done. He did some therapy, which helped some. Then they went to some weights and pow. He can not handle any lights. His MD said in time it will heal do to a sprain in the Rotor Cuff. My question is he dose have some tingling in his Tricep still. Can you suggest anything by the reading of his MRI
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tingling due to nerve irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Your husband has rotator cuff tendinosis without any full thickness tear. The mild tingling in the triceps is due to a minor nerve irritation. This will heal on its own and is not worrisome.
Physiotherapy, anti inflammatory pain medication and steroid injections are given to reduce the inflammation and strengthen the uninjured muscle around the shoulder to compensate for the torn muscle.
Mostly these tears are treated in this way. Your husband is getting the right treatment. It will take 6-8 weeks for the mild tear to heal properly.
Activities that cause symptoms should be avoided. A physical therapy program that focuses on establishing non-painful shoulder motion and strengthening of the shoulder muscles will also be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.

Thank you for your answer. It has been almost a year now. Could there be something in his nerves that wasn't detected by the MRI?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B 12 deficiency and cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If it has been a year since the tear then Vitamin B 12 deficiency and cervical spondylosis also need to be ruled out after blood tests and MRI scan of the neck. Proper supplements are needed if the low levels are detected.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.