• question-icon

What causes severe rib pain?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: pain ,(dull/achey) under left ribs on lower side, .when I push in under rib I feel something like loose,disconnected gristle move around .Its onset was sudden .I sprung up from a chair fast and felt pain shoot across my entire upper gut area a few days ago .I am not a doc but Im sure its muscual/skeletal , what do you think ?Its incomfortable but not very painful .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Condritis/ muscular as you have suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
The possibilities for dull ache/uncomfortable feeling with something moving on palpation are:
Small hematoma or localized edema in response to sudden muscular action on getting up from a chair.
Costochondritis is another possibility.
Loose disconnected gristle like thing moving around can be hematoma or a rib end of 9 th or lower rib. These are floating ribs and attached by cartilage to the rest of the rib cage, is XXXXXXX easily gets hurts as chondritis giving similar symptoms.

Take an anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen and if no relief, get examined by a Doctor to be certain about the problem that developed.
Give rest to the part, avoid any movements that can increase the strain on te affected area.
I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon