What causes severe pain under the lower left rib cage?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have severe pain that is intermittent under my left side below my bra line. When it comes it is so severe, it makes me double over in pain. It has been occuring for the past month and is becoming more frequent. I notice that it is often associated after I have stretched or reached for something.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The pain appears to be of musculoskeletal nature.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Dear,

Your pain appears to be of musculoskeletal nature as you have not mentioned of any other symptoms like cough, fever, breathlessness or any gastric symptoms. These may point to systems like lungs, heart, digestive system. Or it could be pleuritic in nature9pertaining to pleura-outer covering of lungs)

Since the pain has been there for more than a month, becoming more frequent and there are many more causes for left sided chest pain, I suggest you get certain investigations done most important being a chest xray to start with.

It`s better that you consult a local physician who can examine you and ask for relevant tests. In the meanwhile you may continue to take a pain killer like the ones you are already on and apply some local gel.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D