What causes severe pain on the right side of the hip?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Too many things coming up. I don't think I have appendicitis as I'm almost 50years old, but have history of diverticulitis and colon issues.... it hurts all along my right hip on the inside and not sure if it is just that again. It is painful to get up and walk and woke up through night when rolled over. Don't want to waste folks time for something that is just a pulled muscle or related to the diverticulitis.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likley musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome to HCM.
Well,it is possible to have appendicitis in this age,why not,although it is less common then in young age. However,if pain is aggravated by specific movements then it is likely to be caused by extraabdominal issues such as tendinitis, arthritis or there was abdominal wall sprain. There may be inguinal or femoral hernia that hurts on this way. I don't think this is emergency unless there is fever and deep intraabdominal pain associated with vomiting and nausea. You should wait for few days,take analgesics and rest. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 15 days later
Hi Dr Rommstien
I actually ended up in emergency with a blocked colon and they also found a large cyst in the exploration which needs surgery due to size and test results. So a bit different then your answer that it was likely a muscular issue.
I think your role is challenging when you don't see or know the patient so give you credit for trying but I will likely just head to a walk-in should anything like this occur again.
Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Of course that we can't establish diagnosis without examination and tests. This is just online advice and I did not rule out possible colon or appendix disorders. You did not mention any symptoms of colon obstruction so this is not first thing to think of. I just hope that everything is well now and that the cyst is not malignant and that surgery will be successful. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng