• question-icon

What causes severe pain in upper throat and internal ear canal?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 15 days back , came down with fever and sore throat and hoarseness of voice. Doctor diagnosed pharyngitis and started augumentin 375 for 5 days . Little relief and doctor had dose increased to 675 for further 3 days. Got cured at end of 8 days of antibiotics. Now one week later have again come down with severe pain in upper throat and internal ear canal . No fever or cough . Doctor advised betadine gargles and crocin for 3 days . Is this the correct treatment as i am not getting any relief as of now . No sputum , no cough , no cold or blocked nose . Only pain esp. In the ear canal or upper left and right throat . No history of any serious disease .
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
continue same treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
the symptoms and treatment that you have mentioned indicate that infection had spread to middle ear earlier and remained dormant and has reactivated again now. Since such infections are self limiting or in other words antibodies against such infection would have formed by now and thus limits the spread of infection, there is no need for further antibiotic intake and symptomatic management as suggested by your doctor is the best course of action.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Naveen Kumar