• question-icon

What causes severe pain in the cervix post an IVF procedure?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I had a round of IVF done just recently and I was on Crinone gel for 10 days after ET. However, in the last days of taking Crinone gel, I developed a pain in the cervix (uterus cervix) that was especially unpleasant when sitting. Unfortunately, I got my period right after and a large plug of Crinone leftover came out of my vagina, so I guess I had a Crinone build-up. My concern is that I still have this pain (less than before the plug came out, but is still present). Should I be worried? Thanks for answering!
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understood your concern.
Usually crinone gel is progesterone and it is usually given after embryo transfer to support the pregnancy.
If you are having mild pain without any other symptoms, it may not be a cause of concern.
But if you are having other associated symptoms like discharge,dizziness or bleeding then it is a cause of concern and need further evaluation.
So kindly give some more detailed information about your pain.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Good luck.

Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for answeing, I have period right now, so I have that bleeding since IVF didn't work out. My pain is mild, but stronger when sitting. No dizziness for now.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
I feel sorry about it.
Your pain could be due to hormonal disturbance cause by drugs used in IVF.it could be due to menstrual cramps or could be due streching pain of the procedure.
Hot compression could be helpful, or mild pain killer you can take,you may get relief in few days.
If pain persist for long and associated with other symptoms then you should consult your treating physician for the same.
Hope found useful, feel free to discuss more information.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN