What causes severe pain in hand while taking deep breaths?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Doctor,

I broke my hand on Jun 1, 2016. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and now wear a brace and thermal glove. Since coming out of cast and possibly before I have been experiencing severe pain associated with deep breaths. It shoots through the top of pain hand from sided to side but is worst at the fracture site. I understand pain comes with a broken bone but this pain is only whenever I breath deeply and is not associated with movement or use of the hand. Can you provide suggestions to me as to what to do or expect?

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a nerve related cause.

Detailed Answer:
The deep pain associated with deep breaths in the hand is likely to be due to a mild nerve compression. This is less likely to be due to unhealed bone. An X-ray of the area will give an idea regarding the healing.
It is best to get a nerve conduction study done to find out the exact cause of pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal