What causes severe pain from neck to shoulders?
Cervical disc prolapse
thanks for your question.
your moms symptoms are consistent with a cervical disc prolapse. that's when one of the discs between the bones in the neck pushes out and presses on a nerve.
the pain is from compression of he nerve. she may have some weakness also in the muscles that the nerve supplies and some numbness.
the diagnosis can be made on an MRI scan of your moms neck. most 1st time disc prolapses will improve spotaneously but can take a couple of months.
there are medications that can be taken such as Advil, pregabalin, Hydromorphone to help with the pain.
sometimes CT guided injections around the nerves can help with the pain. surgery to decompress the nerves is a last resort but can be very successful in relieving the symptoms is they persist.
I hope this answers your question.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe pain neck headache tiredness
- What causes severe pain in testicles
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- Pain neck shoulder boils
- What causes severe pain in shoulders and numbness in fingers
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What causes severe pain in heels
- What causes severe pain in elbows
- What causes severe pain in neck arms and thighs
- What is the cause of severe pain in the legs