What causes severe pain below the nostril?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I've had intermittent pain just below the right nostril down to lip in an region no larger than a quarter. Sometimes the pain is sharp at other times it a dull ache or even a throbbing pain. 5 minutes later no pain & 10 minutes after that the pain returns. My GP treated me for sinusitis, with little or no relief. This last Monday my dentist did a root canal on the tooth next to the incisor, but again no relief. I've read about trigeminal nuralgia as I'm a healthy 62 yr old male & I read this is the age which this condition manefests itself. I have had sinus issues throughout my life back to having a tonsilectomy-adnoidectomy at age 7. Any other ideas?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan ENT opinion

Detailed Answer:
HI.
Read the whole history and your thinking of Trigeminal neuralgia. This condition can manifest at any age and it does not give so much pin-pointed pain, it is more widespread.

I would request you the following:
A consultation with an ENT Surgeon who on clinical examination can find whether there is a swelling or something at a spot you mentioned. He can also see if there is a possibility of a neuralgia, which in your case can be infra-orbitial neuralgia.

Another way to confirm is to have a CT scan of this area and sinuses to now the present position and to see that there is no small lesion something like a naso-labial cyst or affection of the bone/ root of the tooth /teeth, or a infected cyst.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj