Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

182 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes lumps in labia?

Answered by
Dr. Vishal Garala


Practicing since :2009

Answered : 1714 Questions

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: I have been married for 40 years but I feel embarrassed about what my husband must think. We have not had intercourse for a few years, since my husband's prostate problems. This is fine for me because of my issues. Please give me some answers.

Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need clarifications...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry, but I don't understand your concerns. Can you post your specific concerns.

You reported that you do not have sex for many years because of prostate problems. Do you wish to know if that is ok or what your husband might feel without sex?
Do you have problem in sex life??

Please revert back with specific query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vishal Garala 36 minutes later
My concern really isn't about my sex life. I want to know what the lumps are in my labia. They are round in shape and about the size of grapefruit seeds. From the outside they are white in color. As I said before, usually they don't hurt, but on ocassion they seem to get a little larger and feeling hot to the touch. I put otc pain cream on them to ease the symptons. I want to know what they are and what I should do to take care of the problem.
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi most likely it is labial or vaginal cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear

Very glad to see you.

Now I guess your problem and understand your query.

Most likely it is vaginal or labial cyst.

There are many type of cysts. To differentiate I just want details regarding location, symptoms, consistency etc.

Here by I am providing basic information.

Inclusion cysts are one of the most common types of vaginal cysts. They are usually very small and located in the lower back of the vaginal wall.

Bartholin's gland cysts are fluid-filled cysts that form on the Bartholin's glands. These glands sit on either side of the opening to the vagina.

Müllerian cysts are another common type of vaginal cyst that form from structures left behind when a baby develops. These cysts can grow anywhere on the vaginal walls.

Most of this cysts are symptomless.

They produce discomfort while growing in size.

They produce pain once it gets infected or pus collection.

Usually treatment required in following situations:

Increase in size
Obstruction etc.

For treatment part:
You have to go for check up to rule out infection or any malignant changes.

To relieve pain and discomfort, start bathing with warm water specially that area.

If infected then antibiotics is needed.

If it produces more discomfort and pain then surgical removal would be advised.

Always here to help you
Take care
Feel free
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Labial cyst

doctor1 MD

I've had intermittent pain just below the right nostril down to lip in an region no larger than a quarter. Sometimes the pain is sharp at other times it a dull ache or even a throbbing pain . 5 minutes later no pain & 10 minutes after that the...

doctor1 MD

Hi,so to start of with my question I'm very nervous and scared I have cancer,I have a lump under the skin on top left labia majora ,it's quiet deep in the tissue and it doesn't have a head or hurt,I think I may have noticed it a couple of years...