question-icon

What Causes Severe Pain And Discomfort In The Upper Left Thigh?

Posted on Sat, 11 Nov 2017
Question: severe pain in upper left thigh near hip joint. no problem walking but discomfort when getting into car or raising leg to cross. some discomfort climbing steps. responds to tylenol, but returns.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Could be sacroilitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
Pain in upper thigh near hip joint which is more in change of posture , in my opinion , is likely to be due to sacroiilitis(Inflammation of joint between pelvis and spine ). The pain is more during change of posture .
I suggest pain killers ,muscle relaxants and spineal extension exercises( to be taught by physiotherapist).
If you don't feel relief in 10 days then MRI of pelvis is indicated.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon