What causes severe heartburn post withdrawal from Omeprazole?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I was taking Ranitidine 75mg twice daily for indigestion. I then switched to 20mg Omeprozale time release. I took for one month and stopped taking 3 days ago and now I have heartburn worse than I have ever experienced. Should I go back to the Ranitidine or should go back to Omeprozale and wean off it?

When can I expect an answer?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ranitidine is safer

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
You could do this either way. It is true that suddenly stopping a medication like omperazole can cause a worsening of the reflux.
In general ranitidine is a safer drug but either is really okay if it is used short term.
If you taper off the omeprazole take 20 mg for a week, then 10 mg for two weeks then 10 mg every other day for 2 weeks then stop. Remember omeprazole works best if take 30 minutes before a meal.
Make sure you are doing other things that help prevent reflux like losing weight (if needed), eating smaller meals, avoiding alcohol and tobacco, not eating within 3 hours of going to bed.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 minutes later

Thank You

Can i go back to the ranitidine immediately? or should I begin the weaning of omepprozale. I was only on it for a month Will the worsening of the reflux get better over time if I discontinue the omeprozale. i am in very good shape, work out 4 days a week and eat very healthy. Unfortunately this condition seems to be inherited...
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can go directly to the ranitidine

Detailed Answer:
It is hard to predict but since you have been off the omeprazole for 3 days already I would go ahead and start the ranitidine and see if that will control your symptoms.
If it is not working then start back on the omeprazole and do the taper above, starting the ranitidine when you go to every other day omeprazole.
Good luck and I hope you get relief soon
Dr. Robinson