What causes severe headache with dizziness and nausea?

Posted on Sat, 19 Apr 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello, I've been having a pretty sever headache all day that I could not relief with painkillers. This evening I felt the urge to move my bowels. As I was sitting on the toilet, after about thirty minutes of nonproductive hard straining, I started to feel very hot and started to sweat profusely. Then a wave of dizziness, almost as if I was going to faint, and nausea. I attempted to get off the toilet but found myself unable to stand. I tried calling for help but couldn't speak. I am not entirely sure how long exactly this last, I am guessing no longer than ten minutes before I was able to call my partner and get up with her help. Now everything is back to normal, except a very faint numbness on the right side of my face and a pins and needles feeling in my right leg/arm. What could this have been? Do I have a reason to be concerned? Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: there is nothing to be concerned Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX I can assure you there is nothing to be concerned. Your diabetes makes your nerves sluggish, causing constipation (diabetic gastroparesis). The fact that you strained hard for stool has resulted in sudden changes in blood pressure, reducing cerebral blood flow causing you to faint even while sitting. once the episode eased, you regained consciousness as brain self adjusted and started working again. That is all the episode is about. HOWEVER, As you have high risk factors like 1.obesity 2.diabetes 3.sedentary habitus and 4.constipation imposing frequent strain on heart; i would also suggest you to get a cardiac examination done to check everything is just fine. All the best.
Dr. Vaddadi Suresh