• question-icon

What causes severe hair loss?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 26 year old guy working as a civil engineer in dubai.
Since from past 1 year i am facing a problem with hair loss.
Please assist
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Androgenetic Alopecia is the most common reason for hair loss in males. It is gradual in onset and is characterised by thinning and hair shedding mainly from the front, mud and vertex of scalp. This type of hair loss is also associated with receding anterior hair line which later on looks like an 'M shaped' anterior hair line.
There is a predetermined genetic predisposition and often a positive family history either in father, brother, cousins, uncles.
Treatment is with topical minoxidil 5% solution and oral finasteride tablet. Treatment is long term. Earlier the treatment is started the better it is. Goal is to arrest further progression and reverse hair loss.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist