What causes severe fatigue and diarrhea after heart surgery?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband who had heart surgery last September is extremely tired and had diahhrea. His blood pressure is normal. Should I be concerned?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let him drink much water to compensate for fluid losses!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this diarrhea. The best approach is for him to drink much water so as to compensate for any fluid losses. Diarrhea has never killed any one but failure to drink much can. If you have water enriched with electrolytes, that would be best. For how long has he had this diarrhea? If it is less than 3days, please do not use any anti diarrheal agents. Should it persists beyond 5days, I will recommend for a stool test to establish whether there could be an infection responsible for this or not.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Keep me updated with his progress and kindly provide the requested additional details.

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 minute later
The diahhrea has only been today but I am also concerned because he is so tired.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
How is he doing today?

Detailed Answer:

Can you kindly tell me how he's doing today? Is he still having diarrhea? Is he drinking much? Is he still tired.

Am sure he should be doing better. If not, update me about his status so that we can adjust the treatment plan accordingly.