What causes severe dehydration while suffering from bronchitis?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: My husband and I are very weak and dehydrated. What should we eat? We are sipping water. I had bronchitis last week, but still coughing. We started sweating and became dehydrated last night. Very weak now.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to replace fluids and electrolytes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Instead of water, you should consider either an oral rehydration packet or sports drinks such as gatorade
That way, you are getting back both fluid and electrolytes. Replacing both fluids and electrolytes would help with the weakness.

If there is no vomiting then you can use more than a sip of fluid. If there is vomiting then continue with the sips.
In terms of food, you can use food that would be easy to prepare and use such as soups , fruits eg banana, apple dry foods such as toast, biscuits.

Coughing can also cause the loss of fluid from the respiratory tract, a cough suppressant such as dextromethorphan , would help to reduce this.
This is found in most over the counter cough meds.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions