• question-icon

What causes severe abdominal and breast pain during periods?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I have PCOS problem. due to which I am putting on weight, severe pain during periods and I am was getting periods from 5 to 8 days before. Attached are the Ultra scan report for reference. I visited Gynecologist on 25 May for the problem and she suggested me to use T.Diane 35 - I started using from the 3rd day of my period after 21 days by giving gap of 7 days I started another set of T.Diane35 tablets on 24 XXXXXXX During these 7 days gap, I didn't get period but it started on 25 XXXXXXX But since I started T.Diane35, I am suffering from abdomen pain which is severe and I took pain killer suggested by doctor but no use still I am having the abdomen pain. Now since 3 days, I am having severe pain in my hands and legs along with abdomen pain and breast pain (unable to touch my breast). I asked doctor if I can stop T.Diane35 but she mentioned that until I complete 21 days I cannot stop but it is difficult for me continue these tablets for next 12 days as it is aching a lot.
I want to take a second opinion as I am unable to bare with abdomen pain. pls suggest do I need to continue T.Diane35 for next 12 days else since, abdomen is aching can I stop. I have done thyroid and sugar test done, everything is normal.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tablets can be stopped immediately

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Diane 35 is associated with side effects like breast engorgement and pain, and bloating which can lead to abdominal pain.
If one is having severe discomfort due to the pills, then it can be stopped immediately.
There is no harm in stopping them, apart from the fact that one may get withdrawal bleeding or periods after stopping them.
It is always advisable to stop Diane 35 in case of severe side effects.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 16 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor. This helps.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am happy to have helped you.
You can get back to me anytime by asking a direct question to me on this portal.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later

Thanks for the immediate response.

I will stop T.Diane 35 immediately but wanted to check currently, I have pain in my breast, it is not allowing me touch, what would be the solution for this?

Also, I have my legs and hands aching unsure the reason, do I need to take any pain killer?

Once I stop T.Diane 35, is there any alternative for my PCOS problem or shall I wait for next period to come and see if it is normal or not.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms will resolve after periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, All the symptoms of breast tenderness, ache in legs and calf is due to the Diane 35 tablet m
Once you have your periods, everything will resolve.
You can try myo-inositol containing supplements to help resolve PCOS.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 minutes later
myo-inositol is a tablet and does it contain any mg?

For how long do I need to use this medicine?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Available in various brands

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Myo-inositol is the chemical, which helps in improving the hormonal profile in PCOS patients.
It is present in many brands such as Myonext plus, Ovagrace plus, Ovabless Myo.
The tablet contains 550 mg of myoinositol and has to be taken twice a day for at least 3 months.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine