• question-icon

What causes sensitivity in foreskin post intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Men's Health
Question: my penis foreskin has been really sensitive since last time I got sexually aroused. why does the foreskin gets so sensitive after sexual arousal? how to make it less sensitive as it's uncomfortable and I m sick of it. thanks
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try a Lidocaine cream first for symptomatic relief.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concern,

Penis foreskin is a very sensitive area and full of nerves and blood vessels and hence it is one of the highly sensitive skin of the body.

In case,if the foreskin appearance is normal without redness or inflammation, I would NOT consider it as abnormal.

Since it is uncomfortable and bothersome for you, it requires some medical intervention for symptomatic relief.

So I would advice to wash glans penis and foreskin daily while bathing by rinsing with clean shower water. Use a very mild cleansing body wash to wash the penis.

But do not use soap to clean the glans as it leaves soap deposits that cause redness or irritation.

You can try a Lidocaine cream which I guess is available as Prilox in many countries.

You can apply it liberally over the glans and foreskin whenever you feel hypersensitivity or uncomfortable during sexual arousal.

The result should be quite satisfactory unless you are allergic to Lignocaine.

The effect might take about 30-45 minutes to start although. You can continue it for a month or so by which time the sensitivity should have settled down.

If still symptoms persist or there is no response by the above symptomatic treatment and if sensitivity becomes troublesome then circumcision would be the best option.

The reason for circumcision is that it reduces the sensitivity of the skin and makes the area less stimulative.

Hope this helps,

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra