What causes runny nose and cough?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 10 Jun 2014 in Child Health
Question: hi doc my 3yr old daughter is suffering from running nose and light cough... at night she sometimes complaints about nose congestion
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems like a viral

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query

Your daughter seems to be having a viral. Though more details about her symptoms would have been more helpful like
-Does she have fever?
-For how long does she have the above symptoms?
-What colour is the sputum?
-Does she have sputum? If yes which colour is it?

Till then you can give her a combination of cetrizine and ambroxol (Syrup- Cetrizine hydrochloride 2.5 mg + Ambroxol hydrochloride 30 mg / 5ml).One available brand is amcet syrup. It will help clear up her runny nose and cough as well. Both can be taken 2.5 ml upto two times a day. If the symptoms are mild then once a day would suffice until the symptoms start reducing. Once the secretions are reduced it will clear up quickly.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee