What causes rumbling, flatulence, and leaking within a short time after eating food?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
Question: I now experience rumbling, flatulence, and leaking within a short time after eating things (now I avoid) like tomatoes, salad dressings, and spiced foods and more....Today I went to an Italian restaurant and dipped bread in the olive oil...Within an hour I was leaking. Can irritants directly affect the sigmoid, because tomorrow I will probably experience a normal BM?....I am an 82 year old male, weight 170, height 5-8...A retired Pharmacist....Should I see my GE Doctor?...I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago was reported as normal... XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD here in NJ..
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Irritants can affect.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on your medical history and query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Irritants like spicy food increase motility of the GI tract. Irritation will be wide spread. You would have taken more air during intake of food, and also irritation of mucosa will be wide spread. This wide spread can affect the colon also increasing the secretions, resulting in watery diarrhea, which you are experiencing as leaking.

2. Colonoscopy is not necessary for this condition. However, do get it done every two years to look for any tumors.

3. Avoid spicy foods, and if you have normal bowel movement, then nothing to worry.

4. Yes, irritants will affect whole of GIT, like you will have more secretions in mouth, the whole system will be getting ready to receive and so sigmoid or whole colon will increase secretions.

Hope it helps.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM