question-icon

What causes right sided pain under the ribs?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014
Question: Yes, I have pain/ache in the right back area right under ribs. Feels like it is swollen and hard. Hurts to move and now when not even moving. Also, joints are suddenly stiff and sore. I have kidney issues and a liver disorder. They did a KUB yesterday but don't know results
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In this area such pain is most likely caused by gallstones. Especially if also nausea is present and it appears after a meal.
Kidney stone pain can be also located in this area. There should be also problem with urinating like frequent urinating, burning while urinating, lower abdominal pain.
Ultrasound should give the answer about the source of the pain.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon