What causes right arm pain while lifting up?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am having pain in my right arm when i lift my hamd. I am having this since last month after my regular badminton and squash game.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please describe the exact location of pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern, however with the information provided it is not possible to come to any conclusion about the pain so I request you to kindly answer these following questions to help me understand your problem better.

1. What is the exact location of this pain? Is it shoulder, front of the arm, back of the arm, elbow, forearm, wrist or hand, these are specific regions of the upper limbs, so please describe the exact location.

2. When you lift your upper limb, does the pain start immediately, or is it only in the middle portion of movement (starting and end of the movement free of pain)?

3. Can you feel pain if your press with your fingers on the area where it is painful?

4. You mentioned lifting causes pain, can you clarify if you mean lifting your upper limb on the side of your body?

5. Do you suffer any minor injury suddenly while playing?

6. Do you feel the pain when you try to rotate your upper limb?

7. Is the pain more severe when you try to lift your upper limb above the level of head. If yes, please mention the exact location where the pain is maximum? Is it the shoulder area?

8. Is there any restriction of movement of the affected upper limb.

9. Have you noticed any swelling in the area where it is painful?

Please do write back to me with details so that I can help you further.

For the time being I would suggest you to apply hot fomentation (hot water bottle) to the affected area, give rest to the affected limb, and if the pain is severe, you may take Brufen 400 mg thrice a day for 3 days.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Its upper arm. Let me know the best way to define the location in medical terms .
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
If it is the shoulder, then the likely cause is sports injury.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

The best way to describe the area is written in my previous answer, please go through the first question. If there was a way I could draw and show you, it would have been better, you can google upper limb regions, that will give you an idea of what I am trying to understand.

If the pain is in the shoulder region, then it is more likely to be due to sports injury, for which rest for two weeks is advisable along with a course of antiinflammatory medicines such as aceclofenac 100 mg twice a day for 5 days. This is a prescription only medicine so, please consult your local doctor for one.

Please answer the rest of the questions in as much detail as possible so that I can help you better.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Best regards
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 2 days later
Its a spprts injury only as i am having this since i started badminton.
2. The pain starts in the middle portion of the movement
3. I do not feel the pain when i press with fingers
4. I geel the pain when i lift my hand towards middle to up
5. No injury while playing
6. I feel the pain when i rotate above head
7. Pain is maximum when i rotate above head
8. It pains when i tey to rotate above head
9. No swelling

I look forward your answer .
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sports related bursitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back to me with answers.

After considering your description carefully, my opinion is that, you have sustained sports related injury in the shoulder.

There is a bursa (a soft fluid filled sac under the deltoid muscle), called subacromial bursa, inflammation of this bursa causes pain in the middle of movement (not in the initial part or at the end of movement), this is a very classical presentation of inflammation of this bursa.

I would suggest you to give rest to your shoulder for at least 2 weeks, do not play any games and do not strain. Along with that you will have to take an anti-inflammatory medicine like Brufen 600 mg thrice a day for 5 to 10 days to reduce the inflammation of pain.

Along with Brufen I would also suggest you to take Panataprazole 40 mg once a day for 5 to 10 days as Brufen can cause gastric irritation.

Both are available on prescription only, so you will need to consult your local doctor for a prescription.

Please do not neglect, as this might later cause inflammation of the rotator cuff muscles and frozen shoulder.

I hope I have been able to help you in some way, if you have no further queries, please review the answer and rate it after closing the thread.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best regards