• question-icon

What causes redness in the right eye?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

This question is related to a 3-day old boy delivered by c-section. The c-section was performed without any complications for mother or baby. The baby is being exclusively breastfed.

Today the baby has redness around his right eye - a picture is attached for your reference. What could be the cause of this? Is it normal or
Do we need to do something about it?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular massage at the inner corner, swab the eyes with lukewarm water should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query on this forum.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I have checked the attached image. There could be an eye infection involved. Such things are common and not a cause for concern. I would insist you to swab the eyes stoking from inner angle of the eyes moving outward using a piece of cotton soaked in lukewarm water. That should suffice.

I want to let you know that the tears drain through nasolacrymal ducts that open inside our nose. In case of babies, these ducts often take time to develop or may even get blocked. You need to gently massage with the tip of a finger, stroking downward from the inner angle of the eye to the ala of the nose. This has to be done for a few times multiple times a day regularly. The ducts would soon open up and the watering will go away. In case you still find sticky discharge from the eyes, the baby might need antibiotic drops like Ciplox (ciprofloxacin). Since these are prescription only medicines you should get from the Pediatrician of the baby.
I hope that it would soon be fine.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Your detailed response is much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you have any other health related questions in the future. I would be there to assist you.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician