What causes redness in groin area and itching in anal, perianal area post intercourse?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Symptoms of anal and perianal itching

Facts

- Three weeks ago, specifically on March 22, I experienced for the first time in my life anal penetration (receptive) first with penis and then with a dildo.
Both were protected with condom
- The partner, a transsexual, has no ejaculation at any moment
- Until now I had exclusively heterosexual relations
- For what I can remember there was no contact with fluids, or direct skin to skin, except when my partner put lubricant with fingers on my anal area

Symptoms

- After 1-2 days I experienced a change of color (redness) in the area of groins (disappeared after a few days) and general itching sensation in the area
- After 5 days I started to feel itching also in anal and perianal area
- Now I feel itching very sporadically, a few seconds or minutes sometimes during the day
- The main area where I feel itching is the area of the sphincter, but sometimes also in the area of the perineum, testicles or groin
- I had any hassles in penis
- Itching is very light, just like little ants roaming the area
- I've never had the need to scratch only sometimes I woke up at night scratching my groins
- Itching is the only symptom, I have no pain at all, no discomfort when defecating, and I never detected even the smallest blood or other secretions
- Not either diarrhea or constipation

Treatment so far

- I applied sprays and creams based on zinc oxide, tea tree, aloe vera, etc and I have noticed a very positive effect
-On 3 April, I self-medicate (sorry!) and I took 2 g of Azithromycin and 400 mg. of Cefixime and did not notice any effect
(I bought the Cefixime 2012, maybe officially expired but I read that medicines are effective long after that laboratories indicate)
-My history of sexually transmitted diseases are gonorrhea in the penis (Cefixime treatment made me an immediate effect) and genital herpes (once two years ago and has not been repeated)
-In both cases the cause was unprotected oral sex

Finally I must say that at the moment I notice only mild itching when I experience moments of stress or when I think about it (I'm a little obsessed whit this theme) and because of the guilt-ridden I'm ashamed to visit the local doctor
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment for itching

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

First of all, your symptoms don't seem to suggest an STD.
Moreover since the sexual contact was protected, therefore it can be considered safe as far as the risk of STD is concerned. Hence, there was no need to self medicate.
I suggest you to take just symptomatic treatment for itching e.g tablet cetrizine 10mg once daily, in evening for a few days. I think that should make it fine.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 46 minutes later
OK, Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us