question-icon

What causes red swollen painful infection on toe?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: I have a Z pack antibiotic I never started for a sinus infection a month ago that just went away on it's own. Now I have a toe that is red and swollen and infectedvand very painful. Would taking the Z pack now be a good treatment for my toe?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Skin infection of the toe

Detailed Answer:

Although Z pack is a very high generation antibiotic that can treat any kind of infection I do not think it is reasonable to take such high broad spectrum antibiotic for simple skin infection on the toe that made it to swell and look red.

It just requires Amoxicillin kind of antibiotics and may be a local antiseptic cream like Neosporin. Along with this Ibuprofen helps a lot three times a day.

So I would not advise such dose of Azithromycin for my patients even though they have free pack left with them at home.

Hope this reveals good information

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam