What causes red swollen hardened muscle like area from anus to left buttock?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I have what feels like (to the touch) a hardened muscle 1cm up from my anus on the left bum cheek beneath the skin. The area is hard, but not red or swollen. It's not visible externally. It hurts when i clench and touch it. Also when i walk and sit. I have been traveling a lot lately and sitting in awkward positions for long periods. A week before the lump appeared, i drove a scooter for two hours, and the area that is now hard was really sore after the scooter ride. It does not feel like theres any tissue / matter that is not part of my bum, only as if the bum itself is hardened and painful. Any idea what this is? Should i be worried? There has been no bleeding, and i don't think it has anything to do with the anus - it does not hurt when i defecate. The area gets harder and more painful every day.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma can be the case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Generally such symptoms in this area can be caused by some inflammatory process. No redness or swelling must be visible. Sometimes pain is the only sign. Its because muscle in this area is ample so an inflammation can be inside it. Not visible from the outside.
Mentioned scooter ride can be an injury. Such injury can cause small veins rupture and blood appearance in the soft tissues. It is called hematoma. Large hematoma wont disappear by itself and sooner or later starts to hurt.
The pain has nothing to do with the anus or digestive tract.

I suggest you to have soft tissues ultrasound to make sure there is no hematoma present.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Thank you for the answer. Last night i applied a heated cloth to the area multiple times and today the affected area had decreased substantially. I'll do this a couple of times more before i go to the doctor to see if it helps.

Does this give you a better indication of what it can be?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscles inflammation can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Heated cloth relaxes muscles. So considering its effect, this might be muscles inflammation. However if it wont help, still hematoma should be considered.