What causes red bumps around the base of penis shaft?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have to small red bumps near the base of my penis shaft. I am wondering if it is just acne or if it is an STD?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
STD unlikely based on image

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The ulceration is superficial. If its exquisitely painful then genital herpes is a possibility. Though upon appearance , it appears to be a superficial staphylococcal infection especially if the lesion is not painful. Amoxicillin clavulanate can be advised for a week if topical polyfax or Neosporin don't result in resolution of the lesion. The area appears very dry. Hydrex gel or petroleum jelly can be used in small quantity to keep it lubricated and avoid frictional injury. Tzank test can be done for herpes. Though if the ulcer is painful then one can go straight for treatment with antivirals like acyclovir or famciclovir based on clinical suspicion.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 minutes later
It does have some pain to it and feels a little itchy. Would you recommend me getting further testing? Also would you recommend that I see my general doctor or dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Actually herpes which is an STD is much more painful. Try to shave off the adjoining area, apply antiseptic povidone and topical antibiotic like mupirocin to help with the itching.

Yes a tzank test would be a good idea. You should see your GP. If the need be he may refer you to the specialist if the empiric treatment don't have an adequate response.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks