What causes recurrent abscesses?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: I keep getting abscesses from canullas, injections, when blood is taken, basically when ever a neddle breaks my skin. Do you have any idea what the underlying cause could be or any possible treatment?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You might be suffering from an immune disease

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Achuo and i have read your query with particular concern.

There might be two possibilities;

-The first possibility is that you could be suffering from an immune disease. There are a host of immune diseases that can cause recurrent abscesses. However, these conditions are not routinely considered in clinical practice. For detail investigations, you will need a clinical immunologist who will investigate further to confirm or rule out the possibility of an immune disease. The idiopathic pancreatitis you have could also have been caused by an immune disease thus supporting the hypothesis of an immune disease.

-The second possibility is that of staphylococcal infections. Staphylococcus is a germ that normally stays on the skin and when there is a break, it penetrates.
In such cases, vigorous antiseptic measures have to be taken when ever an injection is to be made.

I will recommend that you meet an immunologist who will do a thorough investigation.

Hope this helps you. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T