What causes elevated copper levels in blood?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
My copper levels are 2.10 mcg/ml and my IGG4 is 177.0 mg/dl. My GI doctor at mayo clinic had suspected autoimmune pancreatitis due to past idiopathic pancreatitis, but, with my copper being elevated could it also be primary sclerosing cholangitis due to elevated liver enzymes(ast and alt granted after 4 months they returned back to within normal levels, also I had chronic inflammation of the gallbladder which was removed) or could it still just be autoimmune pancreatitis?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go through explaination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Autoimmune pancreatitis is recognised as an end organ manifestation of the systemic condition known as IgG4-sclerosing disease. One major characteristic of this disease, regardless of its location in the body, is the presence of high levels of circulating serum IgG4 antibody. IgG4-related sclerosing cholangitis (IgG4-SC) is often associated with autoimmune pancreatitis. IgG4-SC responds well to steroid therapy, whereas PSC is only effectively treated with liver transplantation requires surgical intervention.
An easy way out is to get a short term steroid therapy treatment if IGG4 levels responds to it then its auto immune pancreatitis other wise PSC could be suspected.
Another option is to go for a MRI. It is an attractive option for PSC diagnosis. Many studies have reported that MRI has similar sensitivity to ERC for PSC and has the remarkable advantages of being less invasive.

Frankly speaking its a tough call as its difficult to diagnose.

Hope i was helpful.
feel free to follow up.

Follow-up: What causes elevated copper levels in blood? 16 minutes later
Yeah there is a plan for an ERCP and an MRI too. Thanks for your input!

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Get well soon.
I wish you a good luck.
Do rate answer if you were helped.