• question-icon

What causes rectal bleeding?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take coumadin (warfarin) and my level went to 4.1. Soon after this I had bleeding from the rectum. The blood did not seem to be in the stools but separate from them. I didn't go the hospital and on doctors advice didn't take warfarin for four days. I bled for three days. What foods can I eat to help with the loss of blood since I didn't have a blood transfusion. I have had a fever and a small infection but seem to be getting over that.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's not easy to say but fiber may be beneficial

Detailed Answer:

the answer depends on the cause of bleeding. I'll assume we're talking about bleeding hemorrhoids, but this is not 100% certain, so keep that in mind. Also please note that if someone bleeds for 3 consecutive days then the amount of lost blood may be large and urgent assessment might be required. Symptoms and signs that may denote such a situation include the following: significant thirst, faintness, fast heart rate, low blood pressure, diarrhea with dark stool (black, maroon or red).

Hemorrhoids usually bleed when the patient is constipated (hard stool that comes out with serious straining). High fiber content in the food helps to form soft stool and helps with constipation. Adequate water intake is essential. Physical activity is another thing that helps with constipation.

So this kind of diet will help with the stool but it won't help to replenish the iron stores. Meat will do that but meat may also cause the formation of harder stool.

If the cause of bleeding is different then the answer may be different as well.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis