What causes rash under the armpit?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash under my left armpit. It started before 2 months. After applying cream, it went off in 2 weeks. But Again it started developing in the same area. Its not itchy or painful. Need to know possible reasons.. It started when I sweat a lot due to workouts. i stopped workouts now. Also I started using new deodrant. I stress a lot..
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis axilla, can occur in hot weather

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures .
You seem to have developed lesions of folliculitis in the axilla.
Now such a type of skin infection can occur during hot and humid weather , especially due to excessive sweating .
You need to apply a topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin or neosporin over the affected areas twice a day.
Avoid using any other cream or oil over the affected areas .
You should regularly use dusting powder in the axilla so as to reduce sweating .
You should avoid application of any deodorants over the affected side for sometime.
Wear cotton clothes so as to decrease sweating .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Shall I start my gym workouts or should I wait till rash disappears ? And I browsed online for possible reasons for skin rashes. One of the reason is HIV.. I want to be sure that my skin rash is just because of hot weather. Could you please confirm ? And please tell me if I can start exercising again...
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesions due to excessive sweating

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Such kind of lesions of folliculitis are very very common in people. These lesions tend to come up in the hairy areas of the body especially due to excessive sweating.
So I would suggest you to wait for two to three days before resuming your gym workouts.
Maintain proper local hygiene by hair removal once the lesions heal up. This will reduce chances of recurrent episodes .
Also I do not see a reason for you to be worried about its relation to hiV infection since these lesions are quite common in normal people too . But if you had any exposure in the past, you can get yourself tested for the same. But development of these skin lesions is surely not an indication of any major problem.

Dr Geetika Paul