• question-icon

What causes radiating pain in right leg, thigh and lower leg?

Posted on Thu, 28 Apr 2016 in General Health
Question: Shortly after I get up in the morning, I experience an ache in my right leg. It's not a pain, just an ache --- it runs from the upper part (thigh) in front to the lower leg. It usually goes away after I've been up and walking around for an hour or two.. I get relief from taking 800 mg ibuprofen. What do you think it is? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspecting femoral nerve damage or dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Your pain description matches femoral nerve damage which could be due to either one of the causes:

+Compression or pressure on the nerve due to conditions like nerve entrapment, tumor, diabetes, etc.
+Prolonged pressure to the nerve
+Injury or trauma

Treatment usually includes addressing the causative factor like diabetes, tumor excision, etc; pain medication (E.g. ibuprofen), weight loss, lifestyle modifications, etc.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best of luck.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Thank you for your diagnosis.

Two or three years ago I had a blood-clot in my left leg. As a result, a surgeon removed the saphenous veins. I don't remember what the original symptoms were, but I was concerned this might be same thing. Do you think that is likely?

Looking forward to your reply.

Dr. XXXXXXX

I should add, about 10-12 moths ago, I experiences a pulled ham-string in this same leg. Would that have anything to do with the current symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I feel the saphenous vein surgery could be the more likely cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Thank you for your input.

Yes, the surgically removed saphenous vein could be the cause for the presentation you are experiencing sir.

I somehow feel the removal of the saphenous vein could be the cause, but the pulled hamstring could have contributed to your presentation, but I somehow feel the surgery could be the more likely cause sir. :)

I hope this helps sir. But please do not hesitate to write to me anytime, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later
Doctor,

The saphenous vein(s) removal was in the other (left) leg. Sorry for the confusion. But the hamstring event was in the right leg, the one where I'm having these sensations. I'm just wanting to eliminate the likelihood that I am having a bloodclot develop in the right leg.

Thanks for your help --- it is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hamstring less likely to be the cause sir

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

No problem at all sir.

It is less likely for the hamstring to cause the kind of pain your are experiencing sir. It is not compulsory, but considered smart to go about a Doppler ultrasound and rule out clots or varicose veins. I do not really think that the hamstring can cause such a presentation, as it is less likely sir, to be very honest.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan