What causes prominent superficial dorsal vein on penile shaft?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I've noticed that my superficial dorsal vein is swollen and protruding on my penis both flaccid and erect.
It has slowly increased in thickness over the past few months. When I press my penis I can feel a deep hard knot smaller than a pea where the vein turns down in the middle of the shaft. It does not feel very comfortable when I press it but it gives me no pain at all. Maybe something is blocking the flow of the blood causing the vein to swell. Is there anything I can do about it?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have dilated tributary of Superficial Dorsal Vein seen on shaft of the penis with palpable knot ..

This is engorged ,dilated tributary of the Superficial Dorsal Vein of penis which is seen in many individuals and has no significance at all .The knot that you palpate is a valve where it drains into deep vein of Penis

This is is not going to harm you in way and not going to affect your sexual potency and erection ,so no treatment is required.

Any attempt to ligate and remove it will lead to formation of new tortuous vein to develop .

Please do not worry about it .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Thanks for your answer Dr XXXXXXX

Glad to know this is nothing serious.

I'm just a bit worried about how fast the vein has been growing in size. I really dont like how it looks.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the vein from growing any bigger in the future?
Will sexual intercourse or masturbation contribute to its growing?
Will ice regiment or sexual abstinence help decrease vein size?
I had varicocele surgery on my left side 7yr ago. Is there any correlation?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is related to surgery of ligation of Varicose veins.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for new information .
It is common to get torturous and dilated veins over penis due to fact that Superficial Dorsal vein of penis drains in Sephenous vein .This Sephenous vein being ligated in surgery for varicose veins of the legs the drainage from the superficial vein of penis gets impaired that results in to tortuosity of these veins .
.
Do not worry and do not attempt any treatment whats so over .

It is not going to harm tour sexual potency neither you do not need to restrict your sexual activities .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Thanks for your answer.

One last followup question please.

I do weightlifting at the gym. Before varicocele surgery doctor told me that lifting weights was bad for varicose veins in my testicle but I cant live without it.

Will this vein end up giving me sharp pain in the future just like the ones I had in the testicle? Should I treat it if I get those symptoms? Is the treatment safe and similar to varicocele surgery?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will not give pain in penis at all

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

It will never give pain in penis .

You can continue weight lifting it will not increase varicosity of penile veins.

No treatment is required at present ,If dilates in future you may go for ligation of this dilated vein

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil..