What causes post viral cardiomyopathies?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Been having anxiety for the past 3 months pretty bad for no reason. Been to the ER alot. Did many ekgs. X ray's. Blood work. Head scan. All normal. Went to the cardiologist recently did a echo and stress test. And he said I have mild cardiomyopathy. I do remember I had a viral infections a month or 2 ago. Said it was pleurisy my chest hurt bad breathing in and moving Ect also after that they said I had bronchitis. Is the mild cardiomyopathy. Reversible. Can it be the viral One Or The New Stress Anxiety Cardiomyopathy? I'm I going to be ok?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Most of these cardiomyopathies reversible Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. Most post viral cardiomyopathies resolve on their own with time, and if they did not present with florid heart failure, likely the heart will heal itself. You should follow up with your cardiologist for a repeat Echo in a few month to compare for normalization. The same thing is true for the stress induced cardiomyopathy syndromes, but I highly doubt that that is your case, since almost 90% of them happen in post-menopausal females after a supraphysiologic stress, such as major surgery, death of a loved one, severe infection, etc, not just stress from day to day life. You will certainly benefit from regaular exercise to relieve stress, as well as other relaxation strategies; if ineffective, you may need to see your primary doctor to help with medications to control chronic anxiety. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
So will I be ok I heard it was a death sentence and horror stories about cardiomyopathy. He said I would be ok he said it was mild. I really do hope it fixes itself. I go get my medicine tomorrow. I think it's beta blockers. Give me some good news
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Agree Detailed Answer: I agree that treatment with beta blocker for now appears reasonable; these are causes of a reversible cardiomyopathy, there are other irreversible causes in which the outcomes are not as good, but my hope (and probably your cardiologist's expectation as well) is that this would be a transient process. Cheers