What causes pins and needles sensation?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have these pin prick sensations sometimes all over my body--sometimes just in my legs
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion folllows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
The sensation of pins and needles is called paresthesia. This is an abnormal sensation and is due an abnormal neural activity like peripheral neuropathy. This can occur in conditions like vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes and alcoholism. Less often it can occur in certain autoimmune conditions, thyroid abnormalities.
In anxious people, hyperventilation can produce pins and needles in various parts of the body. For this condition relaxation and breathing in and out of a paper bag would help relieve this condition.
Do get back to me if you have further query.