What causes pimple like bump on pubic region?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, so i have had this what looks like a pimple for a few months now, it came around randomly and at the time 2 or ao pimple were in the same area (in the pubic area) however they have disappeared and it is the one that is left. It did not hurt or anything but i recently put hot water on it and i now can sort of feel it and it looks a bit more inflamed or red than normal i think. Is this genital warts or molluscum contagiosum or just a pimple?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
"Molluscum contagiosum": can be easily treated.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the bump on the pubic region.

After analyzing the picture with diligence and correlating with your history it appears as "Molluscum contagiosum".

To tell you about Molluscum contagiosum: It is a simple viral infection caused by simple skin to skin contact or by sexual transmitted mode.

Clinically the lesions are present as pearly white dome shaped bump on the affected area.

Most of the time the lesions may resolve by its own but some may remain and can become slightly larger. In these cases once any lesion remains then there is further possibility of more eruptions from one lesion. Therefore in my opinion any of the bump if remaining should be treated properly.

I treat my patient with simple extraction with needle or by Chemical Cautery or by electrocautery.

There is nothing to be worried about the same and can be very well treated. I suggest you to not pinch, pop or squeeze the area.

I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to help you any further.
With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What causes pimple like bump on pubic region? 3 hours later
Are there any ways i can treat it or reduce its size or sudden raise now at home since i am on vacation. And how do i prevent it from spreading

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do touch, scratch or rub the area.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Thanks a lot for your swift follow up.

For the betterment and prevention of further spread kindly follow the suggestion below:

-The most important part is not to touch, scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem. This is the most important part in the management of the condition.

- Wash your genital area gently with mild soap. Do not massage the area.

- If it is causing irritation then can do cold compression rather than warm water compresses. Warm or hot water can cause further aggravation and inflammation, so kindly do not put warm or hot water.

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments which rub the affected area.So try to wear lose cotton clothes.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

For the interim treatment part -

In my patients I suggest them to take anti-inflammatory tablets once or twice daily till there is redness or any discomfort is present.

I hope these information will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: What causes pimple like bump on pubic region? 7 hours later
Currently the pimple sort of feels like its eating me or that i want to scratch it, is there any fast remedy for that

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antihistamine with pain killers

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

Welcome again and thanks for your follow up.

In case if you have severe itching then in your kind of cases I give tablet loratadine (Claritin) for up to three times a day. This is an antihistamine tablet given to relieve the itching and irritation.

Rest you do cold compressions over the area and can simultaneously take a pain killer tablet for two takes a day.

Do not try to touch or pinch or pop the area.

Do not worry you will be alright soon.

I hope these informations will help you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia

Follow-up: What causes pimple like bump on pubic region? 9 hours later
Helllo thanks for your fast reply, this will be my last question. I have put on it fusidic acid the topical antibiotic after being instructed by a doctor to put it on, howver is does make me want to itch it after. Is the fusidic acid helpful for what i have?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I prefer to take it out at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up.

You are most welcome to ask as many as queries you want and take guidance accordingly.

Putting fusidic acid will not help in treating the area. It is a simple antibiotic cream and is not able to take out the molluscum body from the lesion. In general it does not causes any itching. In some cases due to over application of the cream it may irritate the skin and can cause itching. So if I say any of my patient to apply this cream then ask the patient to apply in a such a thin layer that it should not be visible to the naked eye.

It is one of the most simple viral infection and can be treated very easily. It simply requires needling with extraction or electrocautery by an expert dermatologist.

You should not be worried about the same and can be very well treated. I again suggest you to not pinch, pop or squeeze the area as it causes further spread.

In many a cases it disappears by itself but on the part of further possibility of more eruptions I prefer to take it out at the earliest.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia