• question-icon

    What causes persistent urinary tract infection?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi,

I suffer from urine infection once in every 6months.
I get blood in my urine , burning sensation,urge to pee again during infection
mostly it happens after a day of having intercourse.
I did urine culture,but there was nothing in the report.
Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent UTI in sexually active females is well known.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist,i can understand your concern.

Urinary infections( UTI),is common in sexually acitve females,after intercourse.
An urine culture must be done,if you feel any symptoms are there.

You need to get examined by an Urologist and do the following tests :
1. Urine routine and culture,before starting any antibiotic.
2. blood routine,creatinine,RBS,LFT,and platelets.
3. HbsAg,HIV and VDRL,if sex with multiple partners.
4. Ultrasound-KUB.
5. A cystoscopy may be needed,after seeing the reports.

Drink about ten to twelve glasses fluids daily.
Taking urinary alkalyser syrup helps,when you have burning sensation in urine.
If urine culture shows infection,a course of antibiotic,will be needed.

Wish you well.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Answered by
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat


Practicing since :1981

Answered : 1897 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

I have no problem getting an erection but when I slip on a condon for sex I quickly lose it. This is a problem for me as I will have a lovely...

doctor1 MD

My girl and I had a sex on march 1, and we used condom but she is not having menstural cycle which was supposed to be on March 13, we are afraid...

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected sex 3-4 days before my period...during intercourse I noticed little blood..what must have caused that? I had an ipill within 2...

doctor1 MD

Hi I had intercourse last Saturday night using a condom. I was in the middle of my periods but we decided I should take the morning after pill just...

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a...

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

132 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Matthew J. Mangat
  • Q - What does discoloration on the penis head indicate?

  • Q - Is sexual intercourse after a varicocele operation risky?

  • Q - What does numbness in pelvic area after using weed indicate?

  • Q - What causes bowel and urinary discomfort post radiation for prostate...

  • Q - Is Moxicip advisable when on treatment for TB ?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for UTI and blood in urine

  • Q - Suggest treatment for intermittent pain in right testicle

  • Q - What do recurrent UTI and incontinence after TOT cystoscopy indicate?

  • Q - What do these below lab reports indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for blood in urine, headaches and chills