What causes persistent tingling sensation in the left arm, shoulder and elbow?
Neck nerve root compression.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Judging from that MRI which you mention as well as from the symptoms I believe the cause is indeed to be found in the neck. That is where the nerves supplying the upper limbs exit the spine and due to narrowing you mention there could be compression of these nerves.
I understand that you had been hoping that by stopping weight lifting you would improve (and indeed some degree of improvement usually takes place), but that doesn't guarantee complete regression of the symptoms. These changes of the spine haven't happened overnight, they are chronic changes which have developed over many years.
So stopping weightlifting helps in stopping their progression in time, but doesn't mean that the spine will revert back to normal. Actually in all of us the spine undergoes wear and tear over the years, the weight lifting only has accelerated that process.
However during the first 6 months there usually is some symptomatic improvement as inflammation which also contributes to nerve compression subsides.
I remain at your disposal for further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling sensation in the back between shoulder blades
- What causes numbness and tingling sensation in my hands
- What could cause tingling sensation in left hand
- What causes tingling sensation in head
- What causes tingling sensation on face
- What causes pulsating pain and tingling sensation in left leg
- What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- Tingling sensation in arm finger what could be the cause
- Getting tingling sensation in foot what is causing this
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms