What causes persistent swelling on knees and ankles?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doc, over the past two weeks both of my legs below the knees,including my ankles, are swollen and remain so. The swelling in the ankles and the tightness go down a little when I lay on the floor and keep my feet on the couch but return when I have to walk or travel. I take daily doses of allapurinol and low-dose aspirin. What should I do? Thanks. bc
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's dependant edema. Visit tmt our physician and evaluate further :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern.
Important aspects I wish to know is how long have your been taking aspirin and allopurinol and what was the indication.
Now what you describe is called dependant .
It's seen in number of conditions the most important being the heart.
As simple as decrease in hemoglobin, body protein or allopurinol induced kidney dysfunction, even allopurinol rarely causes such edema.
Considering your age and other parameters I would recommend that you visit your physician.
Some investigation I would suggest is
General. Complete blood counts, s. Albumin, renal function test and sos thyroid function test
For heart, a EKG and 2 d echo.
As dependant edema is an early sign of number of underlying conditions, a through evaluation is needed to prevent any future problem.
Do let me know if any doubts and I will be happy to help.
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad