What causes persistent rashes on hands and feet?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Oust this afternoon, I noticed the very anterior edge of my right thumbnail looking as if the nail is being "eaten" by something.

I've had a persistent rash around my hands and feet (mostly on fingers and toes) that have been super-itchy, then flaky, eventually wit the skin breaking on the tops of my fingers which remain very painful. I have been to a dermatologist who will not give m any oral medication but keeps writing me prescriptions for ointments and creams. Finally, last week, I went to my PCP to request a Medrol dose pack.

I am on my fourth day and although my skin does not itch much, the pain is still there. On inspection of my fingernails today, I noticed the right thumb abnormality. My fingers remain purplish.

Should I go to my doctor ASAP?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be eczema,consult a doctor for purplish fingers

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
According to your complaints it seems you are having eczema but I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas under the report section of the site so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Meanwhile for painful fingers apply topical antibiotic like neosporin ointment on the cuts twice daily.
But for your purplish fingers consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana